Monday, July 25, 2011

SPORTS BITS

The ArmChair Coach has been on a hiatus since March 15, 2011 but, I have awaken from my hibernation and I am getting ready for some FOOTBALL. Before I start to focus on the fast approaching football season, I would like to blog about some of the sports topics that have been going on during my four month hiatus. I call them SPORTS BITS. I hope you enjoy and I would love to hear your comments on my SPORTS BITS.

THE ATLANTA BRAVES are following up their wildcard season from last year with another good season this year. As of today they are 59 and 43, six games back in the National League East. They have the second best record in the National league behind their East Division rivals the Philadelphia Phillies. The Braves are five games up in the wildcard race. They have won even though they have only had their opening day line-up on the field together for ONLY 11 GAMES. They are 3rd from the bottom in team batting average, 8th in runs scored. How is this team winning games? They are winning with great starting pitching, the best bullpen in baseball, strong defense and timely hitting. In my opinion, 1b Freddie Freeman or closer Craig Kimbrell should win rookie of the year. I think the Braves will make a run for the NL East title but, I see them winning the wildcard again this season. I think they need to make a couple of moves for another right-handed hitter and a right-hander for the bullpen. I look for Dan Uggla and Jason Heyward to have big second halves. The Braves should be a big factor in October. Can they make it to the World Series?

THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS baseball team repeated as College World Series Champions! They had a tremendous season and an unbelievable post season run. They went undefeated during their post season run to the National Championship. I really like the way this team played the last two seasons. If they had another name on their jersey besides Carolina, I could pull for them. Me being a Clemson fan I just couldn't do it but, being a sports fan, I know a great team when I see one. They were not the most talented team in the country but, they were the best. Can they three-peat?

THE MIAMI HEAT the team the media loved and thought would start a dynasty in the NBA, lost the NBA Championship to the Dallas Mavericks in six games. I was very happy that they lost. I am a Lakers fan and if the Lakers couldn't win the title again, I wanted anybody but the Heat. Will Lebron James win his first NBA Championship next season?

THE NFL LOCKOUT has been the big news in the football world since March. As of today they have finally agreed on terms that will end the lockout. My question is, why did it take so long to get it done? If they would have kept their egos out of the negotiations, they could have gotten it done before now. When it came down to possibly missing preseason games and losing money, they finally got it done. IT IS ABOUT TIME! After four and a half months it is time for NFL FOOTBALL.

It is good to be back from my four month hiatus and blogging about sports again. I look forward to another exciting football season and you can look forward to my football picks again this season. My first week of football picks will be in Week 0 of the High School football season on August 19th. My next blog will be next week.

Until Next Time.

No comments: