Tuesday, August 23, 2011

HOW TEAMS GOT THEIR NAME- CLEMSON TIGERS

Today I am starting my special series of blogs on How Teams Got Their Name. First up is the Clemson Tigers. I have found this information through research and if anyone disputes my findings feel free to comment. I found it very interesting.

Clemson Tigers..... The school was named for Thomas Green Clemson and was established as Clemson Agricultural College of South Carolina. It opened in 1893 , after Clemson's death. The college was an all-male military school until 1955 when it was changed to "civilian" status. In 1964 the college was renamed Clemson University. It has been said that Clemson's first football coach, Professor Walter Merritt Riggs, first used the TIGERS nickname for his team. Due to not wearing helmets, in those days, the players wore long hair. These long manes might have gained them the name of LIONS had it not been for the orange and purple striped jerseys and socks the team wore. It was said that they resembled TIGERS. The name TIGERS seemed to stick, so we have the Clemson Tigers and not the Clemson Lions. Coach Riggs had played football for Auburn, also nicknamed TIGERS, whose colors were orange and blue.

I will have my Week 1 Football Picks blog on Thursday afternoon. I will also continue my series of blogs How Teams Got Their Name on Tuesday August 30, 2011. The team next time will be the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Until Next Time.

No comments: